On 27-7-2010 3:06, John Haltiwanger wrote:

I for one have always thought it would be interesting to develop a
Unicode character that provides a symbol representing a neutral gender
pronoun. Then, anyone reading can insert he/she or another option to
their own taste.

Interesting ... if we can come up with a nice symbol that we can agree on it should be doable to get it included in quite some tex related fonts (the group involved in maintaining them is not so large) ... and then we can set a standard. After all, symbols like copyright and registered made it into fonts and those are used (if at all) only a few times in documents and in unseen places.

Maybe arthur knows if there are scripts that have such a symbol. Of course then there is the issue of how to pronounce it.