* Khaled Hosny <khaledho...@eglug.org> [100829 08:37]:
> On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 11:50:38PM -0700, John Magolske wrote:
> >
> > Also, the SabonLT-Roman.afm file that came from Linotype has a section
> > titled "StartKernData", but .afm files generated using type1afm,
> > fontforge, font2afm, etc. have no kerning section. Would using such
> > .afm files cause sub-standard output with regard to kerning?
>
> FontForge can load mac type1 kerning, see:
> http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/faq.html#FOND-kern

Thanks, useful information linked there:

  "The mac stored kerning information in the FOND resource associated
  with a bitmap font (it is not stored in the file with the postscript
  font). If you wish kerning data for a mac postscript font, you must
  find a font file containing a bitmap font with the same family and
  style as the postscript."

Reading this, I went into the directory of the font in question,
found the *.bmap file and ran `fondu -afm` on it. This created afm files
for all the fonts in that family, each file including a "StartKernData"
section with plenty of kerning data.

So I feel closer...at least I know how to create afm files that
include kerning data. But unfortunately, I still can't get these
fonts to work with ConTeXt. It must have something to do with the
font itself, as the SabonLT-Roman.afm and SabonLT-Roman.pfb I placed
in the ~/.fonts directory are working fine.

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact