On Thursday 07 October 2010 09:19:42 Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 7-10-2010 12:02, Stefan Müller wrote:
>
> > Splitting up long source code in several pieces (one per page) and put
> > them in separate figures doesn't seem right to me. Setting it as
> > numbered paragraph? Putting up a fake caption with \placefloatcaption
> > (which doesn't seem to work in MkIV)? Are there other possiblities of
> > numbering (by section) more or less big chunks of source code I'm not
> > thinking of? That would help me very much. Thanks for thinking about
> > that.
>
> you can make your own construct, maybe something with a background
> (textbackgrounds can cross pages)

Hello,

I use textbackgrounds to set-off paragraphs,
for example, here as secondary material.
It does not float and, indeed, may flow over many pages.

This is a concrete example (to which you could add line numbering):

\definetextbackground [secondary]
        [location=paragraph,
        background=color,backgroundscreen=middlegray,
        leftoffset=0.5cm,rightoffset=0.5cm,
        topoffset=.25ex,bottomoffset=.25ex,
        before={\blank[small]\switchtobodyfont[script]},
        after={\blank[small]},
        frame=off]
\kindofpagetextareas3 % fix from Hans
% Indeed, there are several internal methods available
% for managing text areas. Without this fix, the background
% color bleeds over footnotes and floats external to the
% secondary material.

\startsecondary
Here is some less interesting detailed stuff that can be skipped
if you wish…
\stopsecondary

Alan