I'll try once more to explain the setup.

If I understand the unicode philosopy correctly, then we do not any font switching macros in math. If we want math italic A, we can simply type 0x1D434; if we want math bold A, we can type 0x1D400; and so on.

One difficulty with this approach is that it is not easy to type (and see) these characters in an editor. One way to circumvent this, as is done by the latex unicode-math package, is to define a macro for each symbol: \mathitA, \mathbfA, etc.

Even if we define such macros, writing such macros is inconvinient. A more nature way is to write $A {\bf A}$ rather than $\mathitA \mathbfA$ etc. Traditionally, commands like \bf, \it, etc are font switches. However, in unicode math, rather than font switches, these macros are simply input mapping commands. Thus, by default, 0x0041 (latin A) maps to 0x1D434 (math italic A), and so on. If \bf is active, 0x0041 (latin A) maps to 0x1D400 (math bold A), and so on.

Roughly speaking, this is how \bf. \it, \bi, \cal, \Bbd, etc work in the background. However, at present these mappings are unsatisfactory. For example, by default, 0x03B1 (Greek alpha) maps 0x1D6FC (Math italic small alpha), while 0xO391 (Greek capital Alpha) maps to itself. What should these mappings be when \bf is active? Or when \bi is active?

The trouble with the current implementation of \bf, \bi, \cal, etc is that these mappings are not explicitly specified. My proposal is to allow users to customize these mappings.

I agree that digits, upper and lower case latin and greek does not capture all mathematic characters for which such mappings are needed. Similar mappings might also be needed for some symbols like nabla (are there other such symbols?). These can also be added as a key like

    nabla={normal,italic}

or

    nabla={bold,normal}

Hopefully, the above explanation makes more sense.

Aditya