On Sunday 13 March 2011 07:25:03 luigi scarso wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 6:03 AM, Pontus Lurcock <p...@talvi.net> wrote:
> > On Sat 12 Mar 2011, mathew wrote:
> >> My experience on Ubuntu is that if you install the ConTeXt minimals
> >> in your path, they break a bunch of stuff from TeXLive, such as
> >> pdfcrop.
> >
> > I have the minimals installed but with no automatic setup in .bashrc
> > or similar. So when I need to run ConTeXt, I fire up a new terminal
> > and explicitly ‘source /path/to/minimals/context/tex/setuptex’ before
> > doing anything else. Anything I run in a different terminal just gets
> > the standard paths for the system's TeXLive installation.
>
> this is the right way to work with minimals (in linux is easy than
> windows).

Except if one works principly with ConTeXt, in which case it is much
nicer to have /path/to/minimials by default in PATH.

I do the opposite: if ever I need to use latex (lualatex!),
this works just fine, except for a few programs such as bibtex
for which I just define special aliases:
tbibtex -> /usr/local/texlive/2010/bin/x86_64-linux/bibtex
etc.
I guess that `luatex' is a problem.

Maybe the minimals could evolve slightly so that there be *no*
name conflicts with texlive except for ConTeXt itself, of course?
(It appears that pdfcrop gets broken through a confusion over luatex,
perhaps other texlive programs as well.)

Alan