On Wed, 27 Apr 2011, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

Am Wed, 27 Apr 2011 16:19:45 +0200 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:

Am 27.04.2011 um 15:53 schrieb Alasdair McAndrew:

Hello,

The effect I want is something like:

1. First item
2. Second item
5. Fifth item
6. Sixth item
8. Eight item

and so on.  Every now and then I need to skip a number or two.
In LaTeX I could do this with \addtocounter{enumi}{2} - but how
is this done in ConTeXt?

\starttext

\startitemize
\sym{1.} First item
\sym{2.} Second item
\sym{5.} Fifth item
\sym{6.} Sixth item
\sym{8.} Eight item
\stopitemize

\stoptext

You can't be serious ;-). Do you really think one should enter all
numbers manually only because someone wants to skip e.g. the number
"13"?

You can't be serious ;) Do you really think that one should manually increment a counter. What's next: using {\bfa Some title} for section titles?

More seriously, if there is a logic behind such a counter, then you can use:

\defineconversion[fancy][1,2,5,6,8]
% or a TeX or Lua command that generates the count

\startitemize[fancy] ....

 There must be a counter around and a way to advance it.

If you insist,

\setstructurecounter[\currentitemgroupcounter]{5}

There is no interface to increment the counter by arbitrary amount, but you can define your own interface to structures.counters.add:

\unprotected
\def\addtostructurecounter [#1]#2{\ctxlua{structures.counters.add ("\@@thestructurecounter{#1}",1,#2)}}

and then use

  \addtostructurecounter[\currentitemgroupcounter]{2}

Aditya