Am Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:21:31 -0400 (EDT) schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \startitemize
>>> \sym{1.} First item
>>> \sym{2.} Second item
>>> \sym{5.} Fifth item
>>> \sym{6.} Sixth item
>>> \sym{8.} Eight item
>>> \stopitemize
>>>
>>> \stoptext

>> You can't be serious ;-). Do you really think one should enter all
>> numbers manually only because someone wants to skip e.g. the number
>> "13"?
>
> You can't be serious ;) Do you really think that one should manually
> increment a counter. What's next: using {\bfa Some title} for section
> titles?
>
> More seriously, if there is a logic behind such a counter,

Well I have long stopped to wonder why people sometimes needs
"holes" in a numbered list. It sometimes happens. Perhaps the OP
want to make a list of name of occupants of houses where some
numbers haven't yet been assigned.

> then you can use:

> \defineconversion[fancy][1,2,5,6,8]

This is ok if the complete list is not too long and when you know
which numbers the "holes" should have, but I would suspect that
Alasdair want to be able to increment somewhere the actual counter
by 1 or 2 without having to check the actual number first.

> There is no interface to increment the counter by arbitrary amount, but
> you can define your own interface to structures.counters.add:
>
> \unprotected
> \def\addtostructurecounter  [#1]#2{\ctxlua{structures.counters.add
> ("\@@thestructurecounter{#1}",1,#2)}}
>
> and then use
>
>    \addtostructurecounter[\currentitemgroupcounter]{2}

I would say that's what Alasdair wants.

--
Ulrike Fischer