There are several test cases for the different PDF/X variants in

[?]/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/test

Copy 'pdf-x1a-2001.mkiv', 'pdf-x-common.mkiv' and the icc profile to
your test directory. Just add the parameter 'option=always' to the test
file and run it ('context pdf-x1a-2001.mkiv').

The profile is embedded here (1.7MB sized PDF instead of 7.5KB in the
other case).

The preflight in my Acrobat9 is only able to check the '2003' variant,
so it complains about the wrong format. You can ignore this one.

Best wishes,  Peter