Hello,

Thanks to Aditya I have discovered ConTeXt which, thus far, seems to give me much more control over the images than LaTex does. Yay! Before we get the reason for this post, I should note that my workflow is MultiMarkdown file, pandoc output of standalone context file, then context on that pandoc output. I have edited the context file to include a /defineexternalfigure directive to put a frame around all images. The images I have are all screenshots of application usage steps. The crucial output is html that goes into our online Knowledge base. Secondary output is PDF that will be used for our classroom training. The screen shots are mostly jpg with a scattering of png, and are all different sizes. The pandoc html output looks very much as we want it as we can use a css file to customize padding, etc.

I get a very good pdf document, but there is one bewildering issue -- the images in the ConTeXt output pdf document are scaled very small. All of them, that is, but two which are more correctly sized in the pdf document. Almost all of them are jpg images created on a MacOS VM using an application called Skitch. I have looked the images over and besides some differing exif data all of them have the expected xy dimension attributes and I can see no difference between the two that are 'right' in the pdf document and the rest that are too small. I've tried playing with scale=1000 and factor=<max,fit,broad> in the /defineexternalfigure directive and none help; scale=1000 changes nothing at all for the small images and scale values above 1000, while modifying the smaller images also make the correctly sized images too large. The factor values make all images scale to fit the textwidth without exception (that is, I can see no difference whatever in the three options), making smaller images far to large and pixelated. I took one image and used GIMP to modify its DPI to 300 thinking perhaps that might be a factor, but the 72dpi and 300dpi images look identically sized in the PDF document.

The texexex output only says this about the images:

<quote>
 <./images/group54/26378/CMSLogin_300dpi.jpg>
figures : dimensions of images/group54/26378/CMSLogin_300dpi.jpg loaded
 from figurefile itself
 <./images/group54/26378/CMSSelectProjectDropDown.jpg>
figures : dimensions of images/group54/26378/CMSSelectProjectDropDown.j
pg loaded from figurefile itself
</quote>

That output is for both a 300dpi and a 72dpi image. Though is looks like dimensions are being read, both are too small in the pdf output. I quoted texexec because it showed output related to the images. Using 'context <fname>' does not produce a similar console output, but the pdf doc created is the same with the same image size issues.

Also of note is that pdflatex output on a pandoc->latex file does almost exactly the opposite of what context does--all images are scaled to fit text width by default (like using factor=max in context). But that is just as unwanted as having the images too small. The html output when viewed in a browser shows the same images as expected. None of these images are the same size and using any width=X value cannot work. Some screen shots may be 1024 pixels wide while others only 150 pixels wide (a shot of a button or tab, for example).

I looked through 1.5 years of posts to the comp.tex.context news group looking for anything might be similar, but no luck. I have put several of the files involved on a publicly accessible web server. There are two screen shots of the pdf output showing incorrect image sizing and correct image sizing and the actual image files themselves. There is the markdown, context, html, and pdf documents.

https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jstalnak/web/context/

I know that is a lot. I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Best regards,

GuyS

--

"There is only love, and then oblivion. Love is all we have
to set against hatred." (paraphrased) Ian McEwan

Guy Stalnaker, I^2@DOIT, 1210 West Dayton Street, Room 3209 CSS, Madison
WI 53719-1220, jstal...@wisc.edu, work 608.263.8035, cell 608.235.4718,
fax 608.265.6681, page page-...@watchdog.doit.wisc.edu