On Feb 6, 2013, at 1:04 AM, Ingo Hohmann
<cont...@ingohohmann.de<mailto:cont...@ingohohmann.de>> wrote:

On 02/03/2013 04:56 AM, Rogers, Michael K wrote:

On Feb 1, 2013, at 6:16 PM, Ingo Hohmann
<cont...@ingohohmann.de><mailto:cont...@ingohohmann.de> wrote:

Hi,

is it possible to define a block, where lines are automatically formatted
differently?
For example:
first line in caps,
second in bold,
others normal.

Is this possible? And how?

If you mean input lines, then yes.  But if you mean output lines, then I don't
know.  It seems a well-defined task, but a hard task judging by how the
line-breaking algorithm is described by Knuth.  I'll leave that question to
experts.

Here's a way to process the input lines.  If there's a counter that counts the
line number, there would be another way; but I couldn't find out that there was
a counter.  There may be better ways anyway.

\define\FirstLine{\let\myLine\SecondLine\sc}
\define\SecondLine{\let\myLine\OtherLine\bf}
\define\OtherLine{\tf}
\definelines[doMyLines][command=\myLine]
\def\startMyLines{\let\myLine\FirstLine\startdoMyLines}
\def\stopMyLines{\stopdoMyLines}

As I said that works, but while trying to understand this, I found that the
documentation for \definelines doesn't mention the "command=" option. On the
other hand it does mention "align=" and this doesn't work. Neither does
\setuplines.

I figured it out from the source, spac-lin.mkiv.  One might see there that the
"align" key does not seem to be processed; it s a relic from a previous version
of ConTeXt, I suppose.  Many macros have a "command" key, which usually seems
to be a method for customizing the basic unit, in this case a line.  (The
source is written in a certain style that makes it possible often to figure
things out, even when the wiki is not up-to-date.  I say "possible" but not
always easy.  And there's always this maillist.)

prohibited.