Dear gang,

Here is the situation: For an upcoming book project I may use a set of proprietary fonts whose license that does not allow modification even for personal, private use. Some characters I need are absent, but the components I need are there (macrons, dots, etc). So I can conceivably use \defineactivecharacter to map each needed unicode char to a \def made of glyph components in the font.

Now in a typescript we have different fonts: Each individual font needs its own setup in terms of \defineactivecharacter. So the final typeface will be able to associate each individual font with its associated setup. So here's my idea:

==============
\startsetups font1
\defineactivecharacter b blah1
\stopsetups

\startsetups font2
\defineactivecharacter b blah2
\stopsetups

\starttypescript [serif] [name]

\definefontsynonym [MyFont1][name:SuperFontRgular][features=myfeatures,fallbacks=myfallback,setups=font1] \definefontsynonym [MyFont2][name:SuperFontItalic][features=myfeatures,fallbacks=myfallback,setups=font2]

\stoptypescript
===============

Is this doable? If not is there another way? If doable, is there a better way?

If this is totally undoable, then here is another approach: Is there a way in mkiv to make a definition that can translate the following:

==========
If font1 is active use def1
If font2 is active use def2
:
Else \relax

If not, are there any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for any hints and guidance.

Best wishes
Idris
--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid