Hi Hans,

Thanks for the reply:

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 19:01:30 -0600, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:

On 3/11/2013 5:51 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد wrote:
Dear gang,

Here is the situation: For an upcoming book project I may use a set of
proprietary fonts whose license that does not allow modification even
for personal, private use. Some characters I need are absent, but the

I'd choose another font.

LOL.

If you're referring to the private-use restriction: Adobe allows private/personal modifications for most fonts, so I could get away with making small fallbacks, etc. In the end, I may very well go with a company like Adobe for just this reason.

(On the other hand, all of their optical sized book fonts are made by the same designer and have the same feel ... I'd like to try something different if I can find it).

If you're referring to finding a font that has all the requisite characters: Hardly any HQ commercial text font for books has the requisite characters (mostly but not all in the Latin Extended Additional block). TeX-Gyre has the chars (I lobbied for them some years ago) but for the current project T-G is not really an option.

components I need are there (macrons, dots, etc). So I can conceivably
use \defineactivecharacter to map each needed unicode char to a \def
made of glyph components in the font.

there is a 'compose' feature that does some virtual magic ...

Yes, I tried that a long time ago; will try again, though more precision will be needed, especially for italic etc..

it's also possible to specify things in a lfg file .. here is a copy from an upcoming manual:

<snip>

Yaay, I look forward to reading that! I was thinking that the goodies file would be the ideal place to put the specs.

Of course this assumes some knowledge of the font metrics (in base points) and \UNICODE\ slots, but it might be worth the trouble. After all, one only needs to
figure it out once. But keep in mind that it will always be a kludge.

A slightly different way to define such compositions is the following:

<snip>

Ok, I'll study that as well

Of course no one really needs this because \OPENTYPE\ Lucida fonts
have replaced the \TYPEONE\ versions.

Indeed. OTOH, I just found this wonderful (+very-expensive) Dutch typeface that is still(!) only available in Type1/ttf format.

Thanks again and

Best wishes
Idris
--