On 4/19/2013 4:12 PM, Troy Henderson wrote:
    Did we change something with the type 1? In mkiv ... we probably
    never finished the mappings ... waste of time now that we have otf.

This makes me believe that I will eventually HAVE to purchase (and by
"purchase" I really mean "re-purchase) the OTF versions in order to use
my Lucida fonts.  This is a bit discouraging.

The problem is that in mkiv we make a virtual unicode font on the fly and for that we need vectors and lucida has a bad history: when I started supporting it, we coul duse the original B&H / Y&Y vectors but when tug took over, these were dropped in favor of some latex encoding. So, in mkii it does work, but you need the original tfm files. In mkiv we need special vectors as well because lucida's internal mapping is still non-tex and someone has to do all that checking. Now, given that we have proper otf fonts (relatively cheap for a font as tug paid for conversion) it makes no sense in mkiv to spent time on the old fonts (1: I don't use them, 2: I have no fun in doing that, 3: Nor time, 4: we have an alternative).

Keep in mind that a virtual type1 based lucida is never as good and complete as the newer otf.

Concerning 'repurchase' .. the lucida set is a bargain, definitely if you compare it to other fonts in that quantities. Of course you can also consider xits, pagella, termes etc