On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 2:46 AM, Bill Meahan wrote:
> Out of curiosity, has anyone tried porting ConTeXt to the UWIN
> environment?
>
> UWIN is very much like cygwin in being a "Unix on Windows"
> environment. However, it is not based on GNU but is Real Unix code
> from AT&T Bell Labs. Many of the utilities are simply the latest
> versions of the original Version 7 Unix utilities, others are from
> BSD, System III and System V. The shell is genuine ksh93, not pdksh
> or bash/dash. There is a POSIX dll to provide a complete POSIX api.
> This is AT&T's own, not the "POSIX subsystem" from Microsoft. The cc
> command is a wrapper for Visual C, gcc or whatever you have. Instead
> of the usual autoconf..configure..make..make install dance you can
> use nmake.
>
> I can run the usual Windows context with a bit of fiddling but it
> would be nice to use the regular setuptex shell script et. al.

I need to make extra effort to get to a windows machine, but if
existing windows binaries work and all you need is a modification is
the two shell scripts to downlad ConTeXt and to set the paths, it
might be easy to add support. However, I have no clue how to even
download UWIN.

Now that Jacob mentioned it: I didn't think of the fact that one might
not necessarily need special cygwin binaries to run ConTeXt in cygwin.
If a simple modification in first-setup.sh and setuptex can do the
job, feel free to suggest the change (platform detection).

If existing binaries don't work, you can write a tutorial (an article
for ConTeXt journal) about how to compile luatex and xetex with nmake.

Mojca