I am tryihg to follow the wiki on "Fonts in Luatex." It suggests the
following statement for Linux systems:

export OSFONTDIR="/usr/local/share/fonts;$HOME/.fonts"

But I store my fonts in /usr/share/fonts so I used:

export OSFONTDIR="/usr/share/fonts"

The net effect of this statement was to wipe out all my text fonts used
with XFCE4 or KDE, at least when I use my regular user signon.  I
examined my /etc/profile, $HOME/.profile, @HOME/.bashrc files and
deleted or commented out all references to OSFONTDIR. I still have no
gui fonts.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can revive my gui fonts that
would be welcome. Only my regular user signon is affected, But I
really want to know what kind of OSFONTDIR statement I can use that
won't wipe out my gui fonts.

I can of course move the pertinent fonts to the fonts directories in
my /usr/local/texlive etc. file structure. But I am looking for a more
general solution.

Slackware 14 64 bit and texlive 2013

As always, thanks in advance to those who reply:

John Culleton