On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 21:59:28 -0400
john Culleton <j...@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 22:38:10 +0200
> Philipp Gesang <philipp.ges...@alumni.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi John!
> >
> > ···<date: 2013-07-26, Friday>···<from: john Culleton>···
> >
> > > I am tryihg to follow the wiki on "Fonts in Luatex." It suggests
> > > the following statement for Linux systems:
> > >
> > > export OSFONTDIR="/usr/local/share/fonts;$HOME/.fonts"
> > >
> > > But I store my fonts in /usr/share/fonts so I used:
> > >
> > > export OSFONTDIR="/usr/share/fonts"
> > >
> > > The net effect of this statement was to wipe out all my text fonts
> > > used with XFCE4 or KDE, at least when I use my regular user
> > > signon.  I examined my /etc/profile, $HOME/.profile, @HOME/.bashrc
> > > files and deleted or commented out all references to OSFONTDIR. I
> > > still have no gui fonts.
> >
> > Can you clarify what you mean by “wipe out”? Were the font files
> > deleted? Are other kinds of fonts (e.g. bitmap/pfb) still
> > working?
> >
> > > If anyone has any suggestions on how I can revive my gui fonts
> > > that would be welcome. Only my regular user signon is affected,
> > > But I really want to know what kind of OSFONTDIR statement I can
> > > use that won't wipe out my gui fonts.
> >
> > OSFONTDIR is a tex specific (kpathsea and Context) variable that
> > I don’t think is used by the system (fontconfig, desktop
> > environment). While you were fiddling with font paths, is it
> > possible that you accidentally modified something else, like
> > ~/.config/fontconfig or /etc/fonts/* ?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Philipp
>
> When signed on as my usual username and I fire up the gui I get
> squares instead of characters. It works OK if I sign on as an
> alternate user or root.
>
> I'll try the sudo fc-cache -fv route and see what happens.
> _

My solution to the missing or miscalled gui fonts is to reestablish
Slackware Linux 14 on a new partition and copy pertinent stuff over.
Everything is OK so far. I used texlive 2013 since it is simpler to
setup and use then stand alone context.

My solution to the original problem was suggested in part by a reply
on comp.text.tex newsgroup. Basically I gave up on trying to cajole
context/luatex to use the fonts I have in /usr/share/fonts/OTF.
Instead I copied the ones I need for this project into
texmf-local/fonts. And I didn't use any subdirectory structure.

Having been burned once I did not use OSFONTDIR at all. Instead I used
these methods:
context --generate
mtxrun--script fonts --reload
mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=Minion*
and the same except for my sanserif choice Myriad

Now I am in business.

John Culleton