Thanks,

But I think mixedcolumns has to solve a problem width the width of the
frametext. Whereas boxedcolumns honors the width of the enclosing framedtext,
mixedcolumns does not. See the example.

% NOT OK WIDTH NOT RESPECTED
\startframedtext[width=.8\makeupwidth,align=verytolerant]
\startmixedcolumns[n=2,separator=rule,balance=yes]
\input tufte
\stopmixedcolumns
\stopframedtext
\blank
% OK
\startframedtext[width=.8\makeupwidth,align=verytolerant]
\startboxedcolumns[n=2,separator=rule,balance=yes]
\input tufte
\stopboxedcolumns
\stopframedtext

Hans van der Meer