On 11/8/2013 7:11 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
Dear Hans,

I have presentations that include buffers typeset with \typesetbuffer.

One of the presentation includes 33 buffers, which are small ConTeXt
samples.

Any time I change anything on the presentation (not on the buffers
themselves), every buffer is typeset again. And the compilation time is
longer than probably desired.

My first suggestion would be to skip compiling buffers again, if the
following three requirements are met:

1. Buffer content (.tmp file, I guess) is identical (checked with a
hash) with the previous one from last compilation.

no temp file is used but a although a hash is possible it also means a lot of extra housekeeping due to the fact that buffers are reused (in which case no run happens)

2. PDF file hasn’t been changed since previous complete compilation (md5
sum again).

takes time so less to gain there

3. Buffer content was correctly compiled in previous compilation.

define correctly

My second suggestion may be a bit complex to implement, but I think it
would be useful. Wouldn’t it be possible that the fonts are only
embedded one in the presentation?

how often does it happen ... if we're talking about one page files processing should normally fast e.g.

\setupbodyfont[pagella] \starttext \input tufte \stoptext

takes .3 seconds on my laptop.

normally fonts are embedded efficiently (subsets) and shared