Thanks Wolfgang, it does work now!

I didn't now that the counter would be called 'userpage'.  It thought
I had to set the page-counter (\setconter[page][1]), as I was using

\setuppagenumber[numberconversion=numbers,state=start]

and not

\setupuserpagenumber[numberconversion=numbers,state=start]

It seems as if both commands have the same effect. Are these synonyms?

Is there a way for an end-user (like me) to infer from a command as
\setuppagenumber that the corresponding counter is called "userpage"?
I am just asking so I may get an understanding of how ConTeXt works,
and I don't have to bother the list with so many questions.

Thanks in advance.

Best
Thomas

> Am 07.05.2014 um 10:57 schrieb Thomas Möbius <kont...@thomasmoebius.de>:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> it seems as if \setupnumber is ignored or I am using the wrong way to
>> reset the page numbering.
>>
>> How to start the page numbering at 1 in the body matter?
>
> You have to change the value of the “userpage” counter, i.e.
> \setcounter[userpage][1] is needed.
>
> Wolfgang

Thomas Möbius
Fakultät Statistik