Am 08.05.2014 um 16:46 schrieb Thomas Friedrich
<friedr...@statistik.tu-dortmund.de>:

> Thanks Wolfgang, it does work now!
>
> I didn't now that the counter would be called 'userpage'.  It thought
> I had to set the page-counter (\setconter[page][1]), as I was using
>
> \setuppagenumber[numberconversion=numbers,state=start]
>
> and not
>
> \setupuserpagenumber[numberconversion=numbers,state=start]
>
> It seems as if both commands have the same effect. Are these synonyms?
>
> Is there a way for an end-user (like me) to infer from a command as
> \setuppagenumber that the corresponding counter is called "userpage"?
> I am just asking so I may get an understanding of how ConTeXt works,
> and I don't have to bother the list with so many questions.

ConTeXt uses three different counters for the pages of the document:

1. The realpage counter is used for internal references to pages, this counter
   should never be reset because it is needed to have unique numbers for each
page.

2. The userpage counter which is shown in the header, TOC etc. and you can reset
   its value at the begin of a new sectionblock etc.

3. The subpage counter can be used when you want to divide a certain
sectionblock
   into even small parts to have local page numbers for a certain part of your
document.

Each of these three counters have a command for the setup:

   - \setuprealpagenumber
   - \setupuserpagenumber
   - \setupsubpagenumber

The old \setuppagenumber command is a synonym for the \setupuserpagenumber
command because this is the counter you have to change for your documents.

Wolfgang