On Jun 17, 2014, at 11:18 AM, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 6/16/2014 11:51 PM, Brian Landy wrote:
>> Hi, I was testing the latest beta (2014.06.15) and noticed I am getting
>> incorrect output using natural tables with alignment characters.  I produced
>> a small example that demonstrates the problem, and attached output created
>> with the version I'm testing (bad.pdf) and my prior version (good.pdf,
>> ConTeXt 2013.06.10).  You can see in the bad file that ConTeXt doesn't
>> properly align on the "-" and it introduces spurious spaces.
>
> i assume you haven't updated in a while as this is not something last beta
> specific
>
> the alignment code has been redone some time ago (the general mechanism is
> more clever now) and it was mostly made for aligning numbers (not so much for
> your case as - is seen as minus)

Yes, I hadn't updated in about a year.  I am running into a luatex exception in
the version I'm using and want to see if the problem goes away if I update.

FYI, I was seeing similar problems aligning on a period, but I'll test it out
in the next beta.

I do have a few cases where I've used alignmentcharacter={\thinspace} to work
around some trickier problems where I needed to mix numbers and text and align
in a specific way, do you think that will continue to work?  Actually at one
point \zerowidthspace worked for this, but then stopped (I don't recall exactly
when); my workaround was to add \thinspace\negthinspace to the text where I
wanted the alignment to occur.  In fact, I possibly should have done this in my
example, to avoid confusion of which "-" to align on in a number like "-0-25+."

As an aside, these are actually numbers—they are bond prices quoted in 32nds
where the "+" is a 64th, so -0-25+ == -0.796875 and 97-08+ == 97.265625.  There
are other conventions used, sometimes a colon instead of a dash (-0:25+), and
sometimes numbers like -0-25:4, where the number following the colon is 8ths of
a 32nd.  So it has always been extremely useful to have the flexibility to
align on a variety of characters, as well as not having problems caused by
other text mixed in with the numbers—currency symbols, % signs, etc.

Best regards,
Brian