> Am 12.02.2015 um 23:14 schrieb j. van den hoff <veedeeh...@googlemail.com>:

>>> Can you make a example because I can’t reproduce the problem you describe.
>
> I have done that right now (problem definitely there) but then looked at the
> difference between my syntax
> and yours. I used something like
>
> \setupexternalfigures [directory={.}]
> \setupcaption[width=.95\textwidth, location=bottom, numberstopper={:}]
>
> \starttext
> An illustration of this process is given in Fig.~\in[fig:convosim].
> \stoptext
>
> changing the referencing to
>
> An illustration of this process is given in Fig.~\at[fig:convosim].
>
> i.e. replacing `\in' by `\at' resolves the issue. I'm rather new to context
> and was under the impression that `\in' is the
> context equivalent of latex's \ref and was not aware of \at at all.
> but this seems only partly true. can you give me a pointer where best to look
> up the
> differences between `\in' and `\at'?
>
> so it seems I need to use \at for referencing figures, at least when
> numberstopper is not empty? ok, so be it ....

No, you’re right. I used the wrong command (\at is used to show the page where
to float was placed)
and so far there is only a workaround for this problem. What you can do is to
use the “suffix” key to set
a stopper for the caption which will only appear in the caption itself.

\setupexternalfigure[location=default]

\setupcaption[figure][suffix=:]

\starttext

Take a look at \in{picture}[fig:cow] below.

\startplacefigure[reference=fig:cow,title=A dutch cow]
  \externalfigure[cow]
\stopplacefigure

\stoptext

This solution is far from perfect because normally the suffix key is used for
the internal counter
of split floats, e.g. when a numbered table is split over several tables and
you get numbers label
„Table 3.a” etc.

Wolfgang