> Is that really an mkiv issue? If I understood well tikz has its own way
> of keeping track of positions independent of context.

Normally yes.

But there is TikZ’ “remember picture” mode. You can produce several independent TikZ pictures on a ConTeXt/LaTeX/plain text page. TikZ tells ConTeXt (or LaTeX or plain TeX) to give back the coordinates of those pictures on the page after the page has been typeset. TikZ can then draw interconnections between those images which are rendered in an extra run.

In my example the rounded rectangles with the words inside are TikZ images which are put inline into the ConteXt text by the command

\tikz[baseline] \node[<form of node>, draw, anchor=text] {<text content>}

When I use

\tikz[baseline, remember picture] …

instead I activate the mode explained above and the arrows can be drawn according to the “remembered” coordinates after ConTeXt’s first typesetting run.

According to Wolfgang Schuster in the first reply in this thread when using ConTeXt mkiv – other than mkii – file the coordinates given back after the first typesetting run look strange in TikZ’ auxiliary so there seems to be a mistake somnewhere between ConTeXt and TikZ in this regard.

Greetings Jörg

Metapost’s learnig curve seems to be a lot steeper to me. It is really a
pity that ConTeXt mkiv does not save the node coordinates correctly as
Wolfgang found out.