[Note: I use the cc to know that I have received a reply.]

> On 24 Jul 2015, at 10:30, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
> On 7/20/2015 6:06 PM, Hans Aberg wrote:

>>> No. You have to use \colon.
>>
>> It would be nice with such an option, as it helps the readability of the
>> input files.
>
> already for some years i'm thinking of something similar to openmath
> dictionaries i.e. in many cases when one writes math it is in some field that
> is consistent within a document, say logic or engineering
>
> it is rather trivial to support something
>
> \setupmathematics[domain=logic]
>
> or so, where we automatically relate the math class with the symbols used,
> something that becomes more important once we start coding in unicode instead
> of using names
>
> but ... in order to provide this, i need information about useful categories

Unicode provides one such category. The reason is all math characters are added
and in that process analyzed. I worked with Taco on that in the late 1990s.

So one main option, which might be the simplest, to assume that the input is
UTF-8. Oen can the added ASCII command names, based on the Unicode names. In
addition some options for special needs and legacy.