On 2/16/2016 3:52 AM, Rik Kabel wrote:
On 2016-02-15 04:56, Hans Hagen wrote:
Hi,

There are quite some probably unknown features in context, here are two:

\enabletrackers[visualizers.justification] % overfull/underfull
\enabletrackers[typesetters.suspects] % suspicious spacing

\setuplayout[width=3mm] \showframe

\starttext

    \hsize 3mm

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxx

    $x$x

    x:$x$

\stoptext

Interesting stuff. Can you point to or provide documentation on the
meaning of the hbar colors? (I did try to follow the code, but could not
make sense of it.)

With visualizers.justification, I see:

  * green
      o after loose text?
  * blue
      o in margin after tight text?

these are the bad ones

can also become red when no stretch/shrink permitted

  * yellow
      o around centering text
  * cyan
      o before flush-right text?
  * magenta
      o after flush-left text?

these are suboptimal ones (often harmless) .. the color reflects the flush mode

It is not clear what these all mean (except the yellow). What is the
difference between magenta and green (I see both in tables and some
column-set paragraphs)? What is the difference between green and blue?
Does green show how close to needing intraword space compression while
blue indicates the degree of compression that was done?

green is used with normal justification

With typesetters.suspects, I see

  * orange with
      o required space (*~*)
      o occasionally between words where no markup appeared (could this
        flag a small word space?)

they normally reflect those invisible spacing characters being used (non break space and so)

  * maroon with
      o *’* preceded by whitespace as with the contraction /’tis/
      o *»* preceded by whitespace as an opening quotation mark for German
  * blue with
      o most punctuation, but not *]* or *)*, when at paragraph end or
        not followed by whitespace
      o some punctuation (*@ # & % *** / …***·* *and others) at any
        position
      o *.* preceding a character other than *]*
      o *.* preceding *\,*
      o some asterisms ⁂ (the second and third when three spaced are
        used as a break)
  * green with
      o ς directly preceding another letter (perhaps other terminal
        characters, my sample only has this)
      o digit preceding *,* in index
      o italic letter preceding or following an upright character
      o small-cap letter preceding or following a non-whitespace character

There are some obvious patterns here (font style transitions, for
example) but the logic some seems less clear. Can we get a guide?

some day ... but your observations are quite ok ... the colors are chosen to make sure they don't collapse too much

it's something we use in automated workflows involving thousands of xml files coming from repositories so that a quick visual check of what can be wrong is needed (much involves spacing as that is what often gets messed up in the xml editors / converters / tools that are used at the publishers / editors end)