Dear Hans,

This seems to be exactly what I need, but I cannot get it to work.
With the example below nothing comes from those
commands (I just updated my standalone to the latest one). On the
other hand, with text instead of reference it works.

Best regards, Mikael

\defineenumeration[question][
text=Question,
]

\starttext
\startquestion[test]
This question has reference
\namedenumerationparameter{question}{reference} which could also
be achieved via \enumerationparameter{reference}. On the other hand,
\namedenumerationparameter{question}{text}
gives Question as assumed.
\stopquestion

\startquestion[reference=test2]
This question has reference
\namedenumerationparameter{question}{reference} which could also
be achieved via \enumerationparameter{reference}. On the other hand,
\namedenumerationparameter{question}{text}
gives Question as assumed.
\stopquestion
\stoptext