Hi Marco,

there is a differenece between the family name of a font (which is used by \definefontfamily) and the individual name of a font. The differences between both names can be explained with a with a (kind of) real family.

For my example I use the main cast of the Simpsons.

Surname : Simpson

    Grandfather : Abraham Simpson
    Grandmother : Mona Simpson
    Father      : Homer Simpson
    Mother      : Marge Simpson
    Son         : Bart Simpson
    Daughter    : Lisa Simpson

All members of the family use the same surname but each of them has also its individual name, the same system can be applied to your font collection.

Family: Caecilia LT Std

    Light       : Caecilia LT Std Light
    Lightitalic : Caecilia LT Std Light Italic
    Regular     : Caecilia LT Std Roman
    Italic      : Caecilia LT Std Italic
    Bold        : Caecilia LT Std Bold
    Bolditalic  : Caecilia LT Std Bold Italic
    Heavy       : Caecilia LT Std Heavy
    Heavyitalic : Caecilia LT Std Heavy Italic

Each font of your collection has its individual name, e.g. the regular style has the name “Caecilia LT Std Roman” but all styles use the same name for the family (i.e. “Caecilia LT Std”) which is used by \definefontfamily.

When you now used a individual name instead of the family name for \definefontfamily you should get a message in log for the correct name, e.g. the following example

    \definefontfamily[mainface][rm][TeX Gyre Pagella Regular]

    \setupbodyfont[mainface]

    \starttext
    Font test!
    \stoptext

shows this in the log

selectfont > The name 'texgyrepagellaregular' is not a proper family name, use 'texgyrepagella' instead. selectfont > The requested font 'TeX Gyre Pagella Regular' has no files for the 'tf' alternative, Latin Modern is used instead.

which tells you to use “texgyrepagella” for the \definefontfamily command.

Wolfgang
Marco Patzer <mailto:li...@homerow.info>
9. März 2017 um 10:33via Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sumlink&utm_campaign=reach>
Hi!

I run into a problem using some fonts. Latin Modern is used instead
and ConTeXt displays:

selectfont > The requested font 'Caecilia LT Std Roman' has no files for the 'tf' alternative, Latin Modern is used instead.

Example:

\definefontfamily
[mainface]
[rm]
[Caecilia LT Std Roman]
%% doesn't work, either
%% [tf=file:CaeciliaLTStd-Roman.otf]

\setupbodyfont [mainface]

\starttext
%% \definedfont [name:CaeciliaLTStd-Roman] %% this works
\input knuth
\stoptext

The font is in the database:

mtxrun -script fonts -list -all caecilia

This happens with other fonts too, not only Caecilia. Some fonts
work, others don't. Couldn't find anything on the list, so I might
be doing something wrong here. What's the issue here?

context: 2017.03.02 22:23

Marco