On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 21:39:34 +0100
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

Thanks for the explanation, Wolfgang.

> Each font of your collection has its individual name, e.g. the
> regular style has the name “Caecilia LT Std Roman” but all styles use
> the same name for the family (i.e. “Caecilia LT Std”) which is used
> by \definefontfamily.

That makes sense.

> When you now used a individual name instead of the family name for
> \definefontfamily you should get a message in log for the correct
> name, e.g. the following example
>
>      \definefontfamily[mainface][rm][TeX Gyre Pagella Regular]
>
>      \setupbodyfont[mainface]
>
>      \starttext
>      Font test!
>      \stoptext
>
> shows this in the log
>
>      selectfont > The name 'texgyrepagellaregular' is not a proper
> family name, use 'texgyrepagella' instead.
>      selectfont > The requested font 'TeX Gyre Pagella Regular' has
> no files for the 'tf' alternative, Latin Modern is used instead.
>
> which tells you to use “texgyrepagella” for the \definefontfamily
> command.

Your example works for me. But it's still unclear what I'm doing
wrong. According to your explanation this should work:

  \definefontfamily
    [mainface]
    [rm]
    [Caecilia LT Std]
    [tf=Caecilia LT Std Roman]

However, it shows:

  selectfont > The requested font 'Caecilia LT Std' has no files for the 'tf'
alternative, Latin Modern is used instead.

It appears that ConTeXt somehow can't find the font.

Marco