> However, the color and style instructions (\ss\tfa) have no effect. I tried
> to solve that, as a first step, by putting \ss before the \xmlall instruction:
>
> \startxmlsetups xlm:contact
> \setlayer[AddressBg]  {\framed[width=55mm,height=30mm,
> align=right,background=color,
>  backgroundcolor=lightgray]{\ss\xmlall{#1}{/address}}}
> \strut
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> This works (see pdf), but there are probably other and better ways.

Have a look at the framed/setupframed command; they have foregroundstyle and
foregroundcolor keys; that would be the most idiomatic way to set the style.

> Another persisting problem is that the commands are still not ‘expanded’ (see
> Pablo’s remarks). According to Pablo for some reason there is only one
> expansion level.
>
> This means that after an \input command, all other commands are not expanded
> (see pdf).
>
> This also applies to your suggestions (see pdf brieven2mkiv5.pdf): in the
> Knuth sample text the only command \TeX\, is not expanded either.

You’re working within xml setups, which means that the catcodes are not the
same as in TeX, which means that the backslash is just a normal character. The
question is: why would you need TeX commands from an external file? Is this
where your letter text comes from? You keep us guessing and are not describing
what your needs are.

Thomas