On 08/15/2017 08:28 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> Is there not some way to "protect" a literal string to be taken
> verbatim where no character be active, for it is messy to have to
> "clean-up" data such as a url.

Hi Alan,

wrapping the URL (or the footnote that contains it, it will crash inside
the footnote) with \startasciimode...\stopasciimode works too:

    \setupinteraction[state=start]
    \unexpanded\def\mypersonalurl#1{%
            \bgroup\tt\goto{\hyphenatedurl{#1}}[url(#1)]\egroup}
    \starttext

        \startasciimode
            \footnote{\mypersonalurl{http://a.b?hpw%20h#pw}}
        \stopasciimode

    \stoptext

Thomas, my apologies, because I have just remembered this. (I use
ConTeXt mainly with XML input sources.)

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--