On Fri, 18 Aug 2017, Alan Bowen wrote:

Unlike \goto and \at, \in seems to insert an unwanted space before any text
that follows.

MWE—

starttext
Text\reference[abc]{}

\page
Text ,

\in{Text}[abc],

\at{Text, p.}[abc],

\goto{Text}[abc],
\stoptext

I am not sure if I consider this a bug. In a typical use case, \reference will have a value, e.g., \reference[abc]{whatever}. In that case, if you use \in{Text}[abc], there should be a non-breakable space between "Text" and "whatever". You appear to be abusing the reference system by giving an empty reference.

I think that usin \goto is better in this case rather than adding a check to \in for an atypical use case.

Aditya