Thanks, Aditya. Using \goto works better.

I have been abusing \reference for some time now, mainly to mark the end of
a file in order to generate page numbers: E.g., \reference[EOF]{} just
before \stoptext or \stopcomponent with \at[EOF]. This has worked for
getting the page range of a chapter or paper. Is there a better way to do
this?

Alan