On 2/14/2018 10:22 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
Am Tue, 13 Feb 2018 19:21:21 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:

But xits is in this case not lying about the italic. The cal-P has a
large overhang and one would like to take this somehow into account.

well, how should math (or whatever) know what comes after it ...

I wasn't looking for a completly automatic solution. Only something
that lets me retrieve the correct kern and insert it (or suppress it
if needed)

these things are always tricky and e.g. math-text boundaries can be
obscured by for instance boxing and so ... sometimes lua offers a way out but even then there are limits

only when it binds with a character
..
maybe inserting a zerowidthjoiner character helps

$ .... \Uchar"200D$

Looks good. And for the record: \strut works the other way round and
suppress the kern.

Yes, because a zwj is a real character and can be used to fool the mechanism

Btw: I found in the luatex manuel the options
     \mathoption nocharitalic 1
but it seems to do nothing (the example in the manual show imho
identical output).

these flags are just for testing (the mathoption ones will go away
eventually which is why we use \mathoption) .. there are other
\math*mode etc parameters

It would be good to mention this in the manual. It is rather
confusing to see examples that claim to show the effect of some
setting and then do nothing.
actually there can be an effect but one that is effectively zero: it can be that a italic kern is injected and then removed as in traditional ... these effects really depend on the font and character properties

(in a similar fashion an example exposing some property and demonstrating some trick can fail when a font gets updated)