Hi Hans, thank you so much!

Am 2018-05-14 um 17:17 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl>:

> - Get rid of inconsistencies in the user interface e.g. by introducing new
> commands with settings.

+1

> - Check what additional features users want (miss) and decide to what extent
> and with what priority we will put effort in this. We've reached a point
> where interference prevents more complex extensions.

* Recently I had some difficulties with (foot)notes, you’ll remember the margin
notes thread. There are still some things that don’t work/look as I’d like them
to, and I hope also others would welcome more flexible/simpler placement
options.

* User/list/structure variables: Probably it’s just me, but there are a few
difficulties.

for code before/after the list of pages

* ePub: I got requests for ePubs again and will look into what’s still
wrong/difficult. Last time I checked, footnote markers were accumulating in
strange places. Maybe some more default constructs could get a representation
in export XML, e.g. \bf, \it

* There are a few things missing in image handling - when I wrote my placement
macros I needed image size calculations that already exist in ConTeXt but were
not easily accessible.

* Would it be possible (or is it already?) to place stuff on layers and let
"everything else" run around it? E.g. for half-page images I’m having a hard
time using the float placement, while I could simply place images on a layer.

> - Are there reasonable challenges left.

* ePub

* PDF/* (X, A, UA - probably only reasonable with external tools, but it seems
like there’s not a lot that’s usable)

* even better error messages - often you get some obscure errors if you just
miss a brace or bracket somewhere. I guess that’s a big hurdle for beginners.

* documentation... (sigh) While I’m trying to enhance our wiki and my book on
ConTeXt, I often need to search the code base for undocumented options or usage
examples, sometimes on stuff that looks simple or would be simple to do in
InDesign...

> LuaTeX 1.09:
> - We expect the ffi interface to external libraries to become more stable
> over time. ConTeXt will not introduce dependencies (what can be done in Lua
> will happen in Lua) but on the other hand we might put some libraries in the
> distribution e.g. for database support.

Sounds good. I could use JSON, SQLite and/or MySQL support and some user
interface stuff – at the moment my invoicing solution is a mixture of Bash,
Python, Lua und ConTeXt, I’m already using a minimal OO library (classy.lua)
and was looking into tekui, but got stuck... Maybe I should better look into
the ConTeXt web framework as GUI. Or finally finish my (Django based) web shop
and write a ConTeXt backend for PDF generation... Anyway.

Some default imaging solution would be nice (GraphicsMagick library).

Greetlings, Hraban
---
https://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net