Hi,

I uploaded a beta. In lmtx there is now a bit more advanced support for svg. A preliminary manual is included that explains a few things.

As a teaser ... it is also possible to embed svg code, as in:

\startbuffer[svgtest]
<svg>
    <circle
        cx="50" cy="50" r="40"
        stroke="green" stroke-width="10" stroke-opacity="0.3"
        fill="red" fill-opacity="0.3"
    />
    <circle
        cx="150" cy="50" r="40"
        stroke="green" stroke-width="10"
        fill="red"
        opacity="0.3"
    />
</svg>
\stopbuffer

\startTEXpage
    \includesvgbuffer[svgtest]
\stopTEXpage

\startTEXpage
    \includesvgbuffer[svgtest][offset=2bp]
\stopTEXpage

or in metapost disguise:

\startMPpage
    vardef svg expr c = lmt_svg [ code = c ] enddef ;

    draw svg "<svg>
        <circle
            cx='50' cy='50' r='40'
            stroke='green' stroke-width='10' stroke-opacity='0.3'
            fill='red' fill-opacity='0.3'
        />
        <circle
            cx='150' cy='50' r='40'
            stroke='green' stroke-width='10'
            fill='red'
            opacity='0.3'
        />
    </svg>" ;
\stopMPpage

It is not a replacement for metapost (which is more efficient runtime anbyway) but for artistic images a mixture might work out ok.

In principle inclusion with externalfigure also works when conversion=mps is set but, although I have some 1500 test images, not all might work out well. There can be a lot of crap be hidden in svg files and angle brackets are no guarantee for properly structured images. Especially fonts can be troublesome. On the other hand, if one has very structured input, text labels can be swapped for propertly typeset ones (like math), but that's for later to explain (experimental stuff). We'll see.