On Tue, 11 Feb 2020, Rudolf Bahr wrote:

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 07:38:54PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
On 2/11/2020 6:26 PM, Rudolf Bahr wrote:

> "whereis mtxrun" gives:
>     ~/context-lmtx/bin/mtxrun.lua
>     ~/context-lmtx/bin/mtxrun
>     ~/context-lmtx/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/mtxrun.lua
>     ~/context-lmtx/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/mtxrun
i assume that you run the last one in this list, which is a copy of or link
to the luametatex binary in the texmf-linux-64/bin path

Hans, thank you for your answer!

So I run explicitly the second one:
  ~/context-lmtx/bin/mtxrun --generate
but I got the same error.

This is the wrong binary. As Hans said (and also what I wrote in my message) is that you have to run the one in ~/context-lmtx/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/

Sorry, "~/context-lmtx/bin/mtxrun --generate" again resulted in:
  resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to 'bin'
  resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '.'
  resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '..'

I would suggest that you run these commands from outside the ~/context-lmtx directory, so that the above variables show the full path rather than the relative path.

"mtxrun --generate" run outside the installation directory gets the same result:
  resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to
'/home/sam/context-lmtx/bin'
  resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to
'/home/sam/context-lmtx'
  resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '/home/sam'
  resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to ''
  resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMF' set to ''
  resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXOS' set to 'context-lmtx'

This shows that the wrong binary is being used. You are using the binary in /home/sam/context-lmtx/bin when you should use /home/sam/context-lmtx/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin.

Aditya