After continuing to look into this a bit, I noticed that a similar issue
involving the insertion of a blank page after a columnset environment has
been discussed on the mailing list in the thread "Blank page inserted when
text reaches column's end" (dated 08 Dec 2019). In that thread, a proposed
solution was to redefine the \page_grd_stop macro found in page-cst.mkiv as
follows:

```
\unprotect
\def\page_grd_stop{%
  \endgraf % needed, else wrong vsize in one par case
  \vfill % otherwise weird \placenotes[endnotes]
  \page_grd_command_set_vsize % needed
  \penalty\c_page_otr_eject_penalty
  %\page_grd_command_flush_page
  \page_otr_fill_and_eject_page
  \page_grd_command_set_vsize % why here
  \egroup
  \page_otr_command_set_vsize
  \page_otr_command_set_hsize
}
\protect
```

Unfortunately, this approach was found to have potential issues in that
thread, and it does not fix the problem with pagecolumns in my MWE. Are
pagecolumns commands aliased to pagegrid commands like columnset commands
are, or are they defined somewhere else? I checked page-col.mkiv, but it
seems to be too short to be the file that defines pagecolumns behavior.

Joey