Hi Hraban,

Thank you for taking the time to send your code for sidenotes.
Unfortunately when I add

\starttext
test\footnote{A footnote in the margin.}
\stoptext

to your code, I get an error and unfortunately with recent versions of LMTX the
error message
!  Undefined control sequence
is not helpful to find the error… (LMTX considers \footnote as an undefined
control sequence…).

Best regards: Otared