On 8/22/2021 4:32 PM, Gavin wrote:
On Aug 22, 2021, at 8:13 AM, Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

you haven't post the tex code that fails so no one can check it

Hans
usemodule[tikz]
\usemodule[pgfplots]
\usetikzlibrary[pgfplots.polar]
\startTEXpage
   \starttikzpicture
     \startpolaraxis
       \addplot coordinates {(0,1) (90,1)
         (180,1) (270,1)};
     \stoppolaraxis
   \stoptikzpicture
\stopTEXpage
even when you say

\def\begin#1{\csname begin#1\endcsname}

to get around the first hurdle it fails because \addplot is not defined

i can't grep it in the tikz module tree either but there are files with 'plot'
in it, so maybe you need to install more or maybe the commands / interfaces
changed

(if it keeps failing on you, you can always try to use metapost instead)

Hans

Hi Hans,

It doesn’t keep failing for me because the fix is well documented, so I fixed
it on my machine. I am just imagining that it might be nice to put that fix in
the modules that people download. For example, a teacher wants to help me test
my book, so he followed the instructions on the wiki to instal ConTeXt (LMTX)
and the modules (https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Modules). Then he had to go in
and change two commands the file:

        context-osx-64/tex/texmf-modules/generic/pgfplots/pgfplots.code.tex

The changes are:

        Line 7928: change “\begin{axis}" to “\axis”
        Line 7934: change “\end{axis}" to “\endaxis”

Then everything is great.

I don't know where the modules live and how they are maintained, but if this
fix could be put into those modules before people download them, that would be
helpful as I add more collaborators.
it makes no sense to mojca to fix modules that come from elsewhere because a next time it might be different so when tikz is not updated on ctan (where it's fetched from) it's not an official fix

(a well documented tikz fix that doesn't go into tikz is not really a fix, is it?)