On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Ben Scott <mailvor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Kurt Buff <kurt.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ... core layer3 switch ... spikes its CPU to 99% during these episodes ...
>> ... Volume of traffic is normal ...
>
>   CPU spikes on a switch is usually something "weird".  Normal traffic
> is handled in the switch ASIC and doesn't touch the CPU at all.
> Typically it's things like ACLs or policy routing that hit the CPU.
> Got anything like that going on?
>
>> ... layer2 loop ...
>
>   A layer two loop will light up every switch port on the first
> broadcast packet (or trigger loop detection, which should get logged),
> so I don't think that's it.

No, the configuration of the L3 switch is stupidly simple - I've got
all of my servers plugged into it, and all of my distribution
switches. It's got 34 of VLANs defined (max-vlans is set to 100), and
it's x.x.x.1 on every subnet except the L2 VLAN that terminates on the
firewall. I've got 4 x 4-port trunks on it (3 for my VMware boxes and
one for the backup machine - the backup machine's trunk is LACP, the
others are not, since VMware doesn't support LACP).

No particular changes to the config in months (when I set up the LACP
trunk for the backup machine.

No ACLs, and two routes - a DG and a static to another switch for a lab subnet.

Kurt