On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Kurt Buff <kurt.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>   You've done a "show log -a" on the switch right after the trouble
>> and found nothing helpful, I presume?
>
> On the 3400cl, 'show log' says the same as 'sho log -a' - nothing of
> interest.

  The "-a" just tells it to include events from before the last
reboot.  I threw that in in case you had rebooted trying to clear the
trouble.

> Just that the monitor port has a high collision or drop rate
> once in a while, and that doesn't correlate with the network
> interruptions..

  I wouldn't *think* port mirroring would need the CPU for anything,
but I don't actually know.

> I'm going to take a look at the packets I've captured first, and see
> what I can, but HP support might well be the answer.

  Reason I suggest calling support is they're likely to be able to
tell you how to tell exactly what is causing the CPU to spike.  They
might not solve the root cause problem for you, but that's info you
need and don't have.

-- Ben