Some call them opportunities, we in IT call them job security. J

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Kurt Buff
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 11:34 AM
To: ntsysadm <ntsysadm@lists.myitforum.com>
Subject: Re: [NTSysADM] OS in the CPU

There are always more problems:

https://www.thezdi.com/blog/2017/10/04/vmware-escapology-how-to-houdini-the-hypervisor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRemWLNBSZg

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 8:05 AM, Andrew S. Baker
<asbz...@gmail.com<mailto:asbz...@gmail.com>> wrote:
But wait!   There's more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrksBdWcZgQ

​(I see your "solution" and raise you two more problems)​

Regards,

 ASB

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Kurt Buff
<kurt.b...@gmail.com<mailto:kurt.b...@gmail.com>> wrote:
The OS in question (minix), isn't in the main CPU - it's in the CPU of the
management engine, which is completely separate, and doesn't, or at least
shouldn't, affect system performance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Active_Management_Technology#Hardware
That actually makes it worse, since as long as the machine is connect to power,
even though putatively "off", the management engine is available. That is, if
it's been configured. This is an enterprise feature, so the ME is usually not
active in consumer-grade computers.
But, if it's present and turned on, then it's pretty risky:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/09/chipzilla_come_closer_closer_listen_dump_ime/
But there's some hope, of a sort - Google is on the case:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/google-removing-minix-management-engine-intel,35876.html
Kurt

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 6:34 AM, Andrew S. Baker