I think that really depends on your environment, your working relationship
with your boss, and how you give your notice.  I've quit some jobs
immediately, while others I have given 3-4 week notice to allow my employer
to find a suitable replacement.

Whichever way you choose to do it; you should be prepared for an immediate
lack of employment.  You should always be covering your own ass, and not
relying on the charity of those who are employing you.  No matter how nice
they are or seem to be, you are not their financial priority or
responsibility.

--
Espi