It seems that just about every "inexplicable issue involving network
communication" issue recently is because Windows keeping putting one or
both computers in the public network and you have to switch it to
work/private.  It maybe not be it and in this case it's only one
computer/side, but it's the first thing I check no matter what the issue
nowadays.  Happening to workstations, servers, machines that haven't been
on a new network in years.  Given that VPNs jump networks, it's worth a 30
second check.