Dang it. Forgot the most interesting part...

In all cases, after clearing the TPM chip, I can use the bitlocker GUI to
start encrypting.

Just can't make the startup script or a manual powershell command (what are
the same) do their thing.

However, when the GPO is applied, the GUI doesn't ask for a file location
for the key - it just sends it to AD, exactly as I want.

Kurt