Thanks Brian. I found part of the answer to my question.  (form
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754893%28WS.10%29.aspx)

   - Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 support only *a single profile on
   the computer* at a time. If the computer is connected to more than one
   network, then the network location that requires the most protection is the
   one applied to all connections on the computer. If a public network is
   detected, then all connections to the computer are protected by the rules
   associated with the public profile. If a private network is detected and
   there are no public networks detected, then the private profile is applied
   to the computer. Only if a domain network is detected and there are no
   public or private networks detected is the domain profile applied.

   - Starting with Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows supports a
   *separate profile for each network connection*. If a connection to a
   public network is detected, then that connection is protected by the rules
   associated with the public profile. A connection to a domain network on the
   same computer is protected by the domain profile. All of the profiles can be
   active at the same, each protecting the connections according to its network
   location type.

I didn't realize the vanilla 2008 FW doesn't support multiple profiles like
R2 does.