On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 1:47 PM, René Dudfield <ren...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Ravi <lists_r...@lavabit.com> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 30 December 2009 06:15:45 René Dudfield wrote:
>>
>>> I agree with many things in that post.  Except your conclusion on
>>> multiple versions of packages in isolation.  Package isolation is like
>>> processes, and package sharing is like threads - and threads are evil!
>>
>> You have stated this several times, but is there any evidence that this is
>> the
>> desire of the majority of users? In the scientific community, interactive
>> experimentation is critical and users are typically not seasoned systems
>> administrators. For such users, almost all packages installed after
>> installing
>> python itself are packages they use. In particular, all I want to do is to
>> use
>> apt/yum to get the packages (or ask my sysadmin, who rightfully has no
>> interest in learning the intricacies of python package installation, to do
>> so)
>> and continue with my work. "Packages-in-isolation" is for people whose job is
>> to run server farms, not interactive experimenters.
>>

> 500+ packages on pypi.   Provide a counter point, otherwise the
> evidence is against your position - overwhelmingly.

packages on pypi has no implication whether I have only one version of
it or several in different isolated environment. Actually, I have only
1 version for almost all packages that I use, and those are on the
python path,  (and many of them are easy_installed from pypi, or exe
installed). The only ones I have in several versions are the ones I
work on myself, or where I track a repository.

Josef