Jarrod Millman wrote:
>  Just
> to be clear, I would prefer to see the ABI-breaking release be called
> 2.0.  I don't see why we have to get the release out in three weeks,
> though.  I think it would be better to use this opportunity to take
> some time to make sure we get it right.

As a compromise, what about the following:
        - remove ABI-incompatible changes for 1.4.x
        - release a 1.5.0 marked as experimental, with everything that Travis
wants to put in. It would be a preview for python 3k as well, so it
conveys the idea that it is experimental pretty well.
        - the 1.6.x branch would be a polished 1.5.x.

The advantages is that 1.5.0 can be push relatively early, but we would
still keep 1.4.0 as the "stable" release, against which every other
binary installer should be built (scipy, mpl).

cheers,

David