On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 8:37 AM, mark florisson
<markflorisso...@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> > other. Meanwhile the rest of the world happily cooperates using pointers,
> > strides, CSR and CSC.
> >
> > Now, there are limits to what you can do with strides and pointers.
> Noone's
> > denying the need for more. In my mind that's an API where you can do
> > fetch_block and put_block of cache-sized, N-dimensional blocks on an
> array;
> > but it might be something slightly different.
> >
> > Here's what I'm asking: DO NOT simply keep extending ndarray and the
> NumPy C
> > API to deal with this issue.
> >
> > What we need is duck-typing/polymorphism at the C level. If you keep
> > extending ndarray and the NumPy C API, what we'll have is a one-to-many
> > relationship: One provider of array technology, multiple consumers (with
> > hooks, I'm sure, but all implementations of the hook concept in the NumPy
> > world I've seen so far are a total disaster!).
> >
> > What I think we need instead is something like PEP 3118 for the
> "abstract"
> > array that is only available block-wise with getters and setters. On the
> > Cython list we've decided that what we want for CEP 1000 (for boxing
> > callbacks etc.) is to extend PyTypeObject with our own fields; we could
> > create CEP 1001 to solve this issue and make any Python object an
> exporter
> > of "block-getter/setter-arrays" (better name needed).
> >
> > What would be exported is (of course) a simple vtable:
> >
> > typedef struct {
> >    int (*get_block)(void *ctx, ssize_t *upper_left, ssize_t *lower_right,
> > ...);
> > } block_getter_setter_array_vtable;
> >
> > Let's please discuss the details *after* the fundamentals. But the
> reason I
> > put void* there instead of PyObject* is that I hope this could be used
> > beyond the Python world (say, Python<->Julia); the void* would be handed
> > you at the time you receive the vtable (however we handle that).
>
> I suppose it would also be useful to have some way of predicting the
> output format polymorphically for the caller. E.g. dense *
> block_diagonal results in block diagonal, but dense + block_diagonal
> results in dense, etc. It might be useful for the caller to know
> whether it needs to allocate a sparse, dense or block-structured
> array. Or maybe the polymorphic function could even do the allocation.
> This needs to happen recursively of course, to avoid intermediate
> temporaries. The compiler could easily handle that, and so could numpy
> when it gets lazy evaluation.
>
> I think if the heavy lifting of allocating output arrays and exporting
> these arrays work in numpy, then support in Cython could use that (I
> can already hear certain people object to more complicated array stuff
> in Cython :). Even better here would be an external project that each
> our projects could use (I still think the nditer sorting functionality
> of arrays should be numpy-agnostic and externally available).

It might be nice to expose something which gives an nditer-style looping
primitive through the CEP 1001 mechanism. I could imagine a pure C version
of this and an LLVM bitcode version which could inline into numba or other
LLVM producing systems.

-Mark