On 05/13/2012 12:27 AM, Charles R Harris wrote:

> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
> <d.s.seljeb...@astro.uio.no <mailto:d.s.seljeb...@astro.uio.no>> wrote:
>
>     On 05/11/2012 03:37 PM, mark florisson wrote:
>      > On 11 May 2012 12:13, Dag Sverre
>     Seljebotn<d.s.seljeb...@astro.uio.no
>     <mailto:d.s.seljeb...@astro.uio.no>>  wrote:
>      >> (NumPy devs: I know, I get too many ideas. But this time I
>     *really* believe
>      >> in it, I think this is going to be *huge*. And if Mark F. likes
>     it it's not
>      >> going to be without manpower; and as his mentor I'd pitch in too
>     here and
>      >> there.)
>      >>
>      >> (Mark F.: I believe this is *very* relevant to your GSoC. I
>     certainly don't
>      >> want to micro-manage your GSoC, just have your take.)
>      >>
>      >> Travis, thank you very much for those good words in the "NA-mask
>      >> interactions..." thread. It put most of my concerns away. If
>     anybody is
>      >> leaning towards for opaqueness because of its OOP purity, I want
>     to refer to
>      >> C++ and its walled-garden of ideological purity -- it has, what, 3-4
>      >> different OOP array libraries, neither of which is able to
>     out-compete the
>      >> other. Meanwhile the rest of the world happily cooperates using
>     pointers,
>      >> strides, CSR and CSC.
>      >>
>      >> Now, there are limits to what you can do with strides and
>     pointers. Noone's
>      >> denying the need for more. In my mind that's an API where you can do
>      >> fetch_block and put_block of cache-sized, N-dimensional blocks
>     on an array;
>      >> but it might be something slightly different.
>      >>
>      >> Here's what I'm asking: DO NOT simply keep extending ndarray and
>     the NumPy C
>      >> API to deal with this issue.
>      >>
>      >> What we need is duck-typing/polymorphism at the C level. If you keep
>      >> extending ndarray and the NumPy C API, what we'll have is a
>     one-to-many
>      >> relationship: One provider of array technology, multiple
>     consumers (with
>      >> hooks, I'm sure, but all implementations of the hook concept in
>     the NumPy
>      >> world I've seen so far are a total disaster!).
>      >>
>      >> What I think we need instead is something like PEP 3118 for the
>     "abstract"
>      >> array that is only available block-wise with getters and
>     setters. On the
>      >> Cython list we've decided that what we want for CEP 1000 (for boxing
>      >> callbacks etc.) is to extend PyTypeObject with our own fields;
>     we could
>      >> create CEP 1001 to solve this issue and make any Python object
> [...]

As this matured, I agree with what seems to be Mark Florisson's feeling
that this is a bit too daunting for a GSoC tack-on.

For now, my part will be to try to push forward with CEP 1001 on
python-dev etc. over the summer, so that new features in NumPy that are
not covered by PEP 3118 can be eventually exported by new slots in
PyTypeObject rather than requiring consumers to use PyObject_TypeCheck
and the NumPy C API. That should make it much easier to develop and play
with new features by having more classes, rather than having to stick
everything in ndarray.

Of course, there can still be a NumPy C API; it would just tend to
change "PyArrayObject*" to "PyObject*" in new NumPy C API functions, and
simply have a macro that forwards to a polymorphic dispatch (it's
already a function pointer in the calling module; so this would just
make it a function pointer on the type object instead).

Does the NumPy devs agree with this vision? (I'll plunge ahead anyway
because we'll need it internally in Cython.)

Dag